Wednesday, October 26, 2011

WWW Wednesday!

Wednesday

Sorry I haven't been posting, but as I explained on my Facebook page, I was busy helping the elderly, saving the rainforests, building strong infrastructures for third world countries, tutoring children with learning disabilities, out charity-ing Oprah (is that even a word?), and running the latest anti-establishmentarianism (oh yeah, I used it) campaign, #OccupyAwesomeness.

Anyways, today's www.Wednesday link I believe I have used here before, but I like it so much. The site is called Rap Genius. Here's the concept:

Take a rap song.

Analyze lyrics. 

Explain rap song to intellectuals.

Be awesome.

For fun, I took a rap song that we all should know, Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight". Here are some of the explanations of the lyrics:

Lyric - "See I am Wonder Mike and I'd like to say "hello"

To the black, to the white, the red and the brown, the purple and yelloW"

Explanation: "Wonder Mike implies no racial barriers to the enjoyment of his music, including Grimace, Barney the Dinosaur, or Prince"

Lyric - "I got a color TV so I can see

The Knicks play basketball"

Explanation - "Back in the day (1979), having a color TV was pretty common in American households. But they were nothing compared to what they are now. They didn’t come in 20 different sizes & in multiple types (digital, LCD, plasma, LED, 3D) and color quality wasn’t great. There were no video games (at least that you could play on your TV like Xbox and PlayStation) for us to play for hours on end. There wasn’t 300 channels of mostly shit and there was no choice of TV providers out of a list of hundreds. Back then, the only thing that was on was the news, sport games, and a few cartoons (part of the reason why kids in the 70s spent most of their time outside).

They looked like this:

If he was to say that line today, i would probably go like this:

…I got an HDTV so I can see…"

How about a newer song? 50 Cent's In Da Club, you say? 

Lyric: "If you watch how I move you'll mistake me for a player o r pimp
Been hit with a few shells but I don't walk with a limp
"

Explanation - "50’s been shot a few times, but he still carries himself like a well-sexed man — he does not limp (not surprising since he got shot in the head)

What’s strange is that a “pimp walk” often involves a limp or at least the illusion of a limp; counter-intuitive, no?"

 

Lyric -"If the niggas hate then let them hate and watch the  money pile up"
Or we can go upside your head with a bottle of bub'
"

Explanation - "So, if they hate you have two options:

  1. Let them hate, and watch the money pile up
  2. Hit them in the head with a champagne bottle

The choice between these two, of course, was a common source of disagreement between Martin Luther King and Malcolm X

"

 

As you can see, you can probably waste a good couple of hours laughing at some of the explanations derived from these lyrics. Sucks for your boss, but good for your soul.

 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment