Thursday, November 10, 2011

The 3 Things...

The3things
The 3 Things About Trying to Watch Kids' Entertainment...

#1 - The more you like it, the greater the chance is they won't.

My kids read the first Harry Potter book before me. My niece has read all of them. I am on book 5 right now. I love them. I'm geeked out because ABC Family is showing the first 5 movies this week. My kids? Meh. Quit reading book 2. As soon as I showed an interest in it, they started backing off. Not maliciously, but nevertheless, I have to console myself by talking with my 10 year old niece about Hermoine and Muggles.

#2 - I AM NOT THE TARGET MARKET SEGMENT!

There's a reason these shows are called "Kid's Shows" on "Teenick", "Sprout", "Nick Jr.", etc. I understand I'm not the target market. When my daughter got into Victorious, and I started asking my son if he thought Kat was hot, I immediately felt like the creepy old dude.......but really, she's hot.

Arianagrande
"Dude....REALLY?!?! WHY DON'T YOU THINK SHE'S CUTE?!?!"

#3 - Monkeys program these networks.

I understand that they are trying to hold the interest of small children. I have absolutely ZERO idea on how they manage that. They show the same episodes OVER AND OVER AND OVER, and my children watch them, everytime they come on, without fail. They even watch the ones THEY CAN QUOTE LINE FOR LINE. I ask them to spend 10 minutes cleaning the backyard, however, and they forget what they're doing by minute 3. I wonder if the houses of the PhDs that create and design these shows are as clean as I think they aren't......except they have maids to do that commoner work....

No comments:

Post a Comment