Saturday, September 24, 2011

It's not who's the strongest or fastest, it's who does the most good...

Let me clarify this Extra Life donation drive I'm involved in. If you are my Facebook friend, you have seen my posts asking for money to play video games for 24 hours. I have a feeling some of you shook your head behind your screen and muttered something about "...ridiculous trying to raise money by playing games", or "he does that already, I'm not giving him MONEY for it", or "this is such a scam".
Look. It's not a scam. If you think it is, I have a different opportunity for you. I know this Nigerian prince that needs to wire his money over here. Just give him your bank account number and half of his fortune can be YOURS!!
First, let me explain why I am doing THIS event.
Perhaps you haven't heard about my heart attack. I would LOVE to do the marathon/walkathon/jump ropeathon/danceathon/bowlathon etc., but I would LOVE to not test the threshold of my INTERNAL CARDIAC DEFRIBULLATOR.

Fortify-st-dr-40q

"Have you ever licked a 9 volt battery? Try licking an electricity transformer instead."
The simple fact is that this event is more my speed. While sedentary in nature, and not typically a fund-raising event, it is something that I can still do well enough to finish the event. 
The point I'm trying to make is that although the activity may seem sketchy to you, the reason for doing it is most definitely a personal matter to me, and many others who have had similar experiences.
Meet my niece, Anna:

Anna
About 3-1/2 years ago, Anna woke up one morning and couldn't tie her shoes anymore. When her parents asked her what was wrong, she couldn't form coherent sentences. They took her to a local hospital, then she was transported to Phoenix Children's Hospital. She had a subarachnoid hemorrhage.

Anna_scan
See that white stuff inside her head? That's blood. That's not supposed to be there.
From the above link:
 Up to half of all cases of SAH are fatal and 10–15% of casualties die before reaching a hospital,[1]and those who survive often have neurological or cognitive impairment.[3]
Anna had to have emergency brain surgery. At 6 years old.

Anna_surgery
She made it through, and now is healthy and happy, thanks to the staff and surgeons at PCH.

Anna_and_doc_moss
Anna and her surgeon, Doctor Moss.
I hope this sheds some light on why I keep posting messages begging for donations for my event.
I want to help the people that helped my family. Anyone would do the same.
I know the economy sucks, and I know every penny counts in your personal budget, but anything helps.
I have recieved donations from:
  • a retired government worker on a fixed income
  • a mother of 3 that recently gave birth (do you know how much diapers cost?)
  • a single mother of 3
  • many people that probably couldn't "afford" it.
I understand the hardship of giving money away. But give PCH the first beer of your Friday night barhop, the first latte of your work week, or simply the change from filling up your car.
Please donate anything you can. I appreciate your support and time for reading this.
Donate HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment