Wednesday, February 8, 2012

All Hope Is Lost....

For the first of my blog challenges, I decided to try to recreate Shepperd Fairy's iconic "HOPE" poster from the Obama '08 campaign. **THIS IS IN NO WAY POLITICALLY MOTIVATED OR REFLECTS ON MY PERSONAL POLITICAL VIEWS** That discussion will probably never happen here.

Here is the poster:

220px-barack_obama_hope_poster
I found this pin on Pinterest, complete with instructions for Photoshop. Sweet!

First problem: I know absolutely jack about Photoshop. I have the open source alternative, GIMP, so I had to alter the instructions slightly.

Second problem: I have pretty much no patience. Apparently it's required for this project to be successful. Otherwise, you end up like I did, with posters reminiscent of Toxic Avenger movie ads.

Third problem: I wasn't about to make a picture of myself.....so I found some unwilling participants.

Here are the original photos (by With Love Photography):

Ally_crazy
Kat_heartbreaker
Nic_epic
Brody_superhero
Here are the "HOPELESS" propaganda posters I created:

Ally_poster
The first one....I tried following all the instructions to the letter. It doesn't look anything like the Obama poster.

Katposter
Poor Katie. There weren't enough shadows or something. I followed all the instructions on this one too. After I "completed" this one, I threw the instructions out. I think the words "Close Enough" were uttered quite a bit.....

Nicposter
Getting better....a little closer.

Brodyposter

And I quote: "Wrap this sucker up! I don't really give a rat's ass what it looks like. I'm tired of editing photos. Your sister is damn crazy to do this all day."

Art wasn't my strongest class, people. Cut me some slack. Besides, I told you the attempts would be laughable.

No comments:

Post a Comment