Thursday, March 14, 2013

Show me your b....rains.



I'm not too sure if I've mentioned it before, but I'm a geek.

For the most part, when it comes to social settings, I'm a closet geek. I don't get involved in geekly activities, I prefer to be that wallflower that everyone thinks is planning to burn the place down.

The one thing I have ultimate respect for in the geek world is cosplay. People that have enough passion about anything, especially comics and pop culture, and enough talent to create stuff to symbolize that passion? Geek gods. At least 2 of my children have admitted that if they could, they would like to get into the cosplay world.

And that kinda scared the shit outta me.

There are so many people that believe that cosplayers are bleached blonde, surgically enhanced women that have no idea what they're even dressing as, no idea about the geek culture, comic culture, and are just wearing outfits that near lingerie because they have the bodies to do it, and like attention.

And some of that may be true. And that's why it scared me.

Meet Taffeta Darling.


She's a cosplayer in the Dallas area. She also co-hosts a radio program about all things geeky. She also likes geek trivia. She also runs her own Etsy shop selling her various crafts. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Oh yeah, and she can kick your ass at CoD.
So, you ask why would I be introducing Taffeta as the example of a cosplayer? Because if my girls ever wanted to get into cosplay, she would be the template. Yes, she's attractive, but her costumes are more cerebral than mammarial (is that even a word?). From the characters she picks to portray, I believe that more than anything, she ENJOYS what she's doing. She doesn't need attention, she loves doing it. Here are some examples of her costuming:

Dot Matrix from Spaceballs


Velma from Scooby Doo


Two-Face from Batman


Seymour and Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors


Coach Lisa from Weird Science


Rockford Peach from A League of Our Own

Combine that with the fact that she knows the geek culture well enough to hold her own with people like me, in mom's basement, watching sci-fi reruns, debating the best RPG ever made (Final Fantasy series, don't test me). Why wouldn't you want your little geek girls to grow up like this?

You can subscribe to Taffeta's facebook wall here. I suggest you do it. She's pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I run into Taffeta on a regular basis in the Dallas area. Unfortunately, most of the time, if I'm not aware of what she is wearing, I won't know it until after the fact. That how awesome her costumes are! Great article to a wonderful lady!

    ReplyDelete